The name was originally Broomage or Brumeinche, meaning broom meadow or links. In 1452, James II gave the lands to James Rutherford for faithful service. In 1476 they belonged to James, Lord Livingstone, who had probably bought them. A century later they were sold to John, Lord Thirlstane. In 1644, they passed to John Burne and in 1725 to Alex Brown. Mr Duncan Robertson of Roehill, Perthshire, bought the Estate in 1819.
From this time the name of Carronvale was adopted. Dr Robertson planted trees, laid out a new drive and built a Lodge. He also added two wings to the old house and lined the rooms with mahongany grown on his Jamaican Estate. He died in 1824, leaving Carronvale to his eldest son, also Duncan, who had a commission in the Indian Army, where he met his future wife Miss Ogilvie, niece of the then Earl of Airlie. On the death of Duncan Robertson (the second) in 1856, the estate was sold to John Bell Sherriff, son of George Sherriff, a notable engineer who was trained by Boulton and Watt (the famous James Watt; inventor and developer of the steam engine).