The Boys' Brigade operates centres around the UK including Carronvale House in Scotland, Felden Lodge in England, and Rathmore House in Northern Ireland. The centres are used extensively throughout the year for BB training and events as well as by external groups.
The grade A listed mansion house is ideally situated in the central belt of Scotland with good motorway and rail links to Glasgow (23 miles), Edinburgh (22 miles) and Stirling (9.5 miles). Conferences, Retreats, Training, Special Occasions, Children's Birthday Parties, Picnics, Sports days, Meetings, Fellowship, Contests, Festivals, Interviews, Displays, Gatherings, Activity Breaks, All-age Holidays and much more – Carronvale is the perfect venue in the perfect location.
An excellent venue for groups on a budget looking for value for money facilities and service.
The name was originally Broomage or Brumeinche, meaning broom meadow or links. In 1452, James
II gave the lands to James Rutherford for faithful service. In 1476 they belonged to James, Lord Livingstone, who had probably bought them. A century later they were sold to John, Lord Thirlstane. In 1644, they passed to John Burne and in 1725 to Alex Brown. Mr Duncan Robertson of Roehill, Perthshire, bought the Estate in 1819.
From this time the name of Carronvale was adopted. Dr Robertson planted trees, laid out a new drive and built a Lodge. He also added two wings to the old house and lined the rooms with mahongany grown on his Jamaican Estate. He died in 1824, leaving Carronvale to his eldest son, also Duncan, who had a commission in the Indian Army, where he met his future wife Miss Ogilvie, niece of the then Earl of Airlie. On the death of Duncan Robertson (the second) in 1856, the estate was sold to John Bell Sherriff, son of George Sherriff, a notable engineer who was trained by Boulton and Watt (the famous James Watt; inventor and developer of the steam engine).
When J. B. Sherriff died in 1896, his son George inherited the estate. He made extensive alterations to the house, but preserved the original structure. When George Sherriff died in 1908, one of his sons, Alick inherited Carronvale.
During the war of 1914-18, Officers of the 8th Scottish Rifles were billeted in the stables of the estate.
The Prudential Insurance Company used the house during the Second World War for record storage purposes selling it to The Boys' Brigade in 1945 and it was officially opened for training on 14th June 1947 by Lord Home, the then Brigade President. It has been in constant use ever since as the National Training Centre for Scotland with many Officers, Leaders and Boys attending courses and conferences annually.
Sir David Steele MSP opened the Recreation Centre on the 6th May 2000 and after the roof was refurbished in 2003 and ensuite facilities added to most of the bedrooms a service of rededication was held in April 2004.
The Boys' Brigade
The Boys' Brigade was founded in Glasgow on 4th October 1883 by Sir William Alexander Smith. From this one Company formed in Scotland the BB has grown in to a world wide movement having worked with millions of children and young people for well over a century.
Today The boys' Brigade are working with over 60,000 children & young people in over 1500 companies (groups) in the UK & Republic of Ireland every week.
Other Regional Centres
Felden Lodge Conference & Training Centre
Felden Lodge is set in 32 acres of ground in Hertfordshire, England and serves as a Conference & Training Centre as well as the UK Headquarters of The Boys' Brigade.
Felden Lodge has a wide range of accommodation and facilities for residentials, conferences, self catering and camping groups.